By Joseph Phillips, Crusader Sports Writer
After testing positive for COVID-19 last weekend, White Sox third baseman Yoan Moncada rejoined the team’s major league roster on Thursday, July 16.
Prior to the announcement, the third baseman was placed on the 10-day injured list last Friday for unspecified reasons.
Manager Rick Renteria believes Moncada was arguably the Sox’ best all-around player last season.
“He’s a big, big piece of the puzzle,” said Renteria in an interview with the Chicago Sun Times.
According to the Sun Times, Renteria said he is preparing for the “off chance” of Moncada not being ready for the season opener against the Twins on Friday, July 24. Renteria also shared that he would need at least “two or three days” to assess when Moncada will be ready.
In addition to Renteria’s comments, Moncada said he felt good, and is looking forward to establishing good hitting in the workouts.
“He was a little rusty taking ground balls,” Renteria said. “But it looks like he hasn’t skipped a beat.”
Moncada also said he wants to play in the opener but hasn’t had much activity in the last two weeks. But with a history of hamstring issues the Sox will be careful not to rush him back to play.
Moncada said he tested positive in Chicago during an intake last week, and that a couple of days later, he lost his senses of both taste and smell (for at least two or three days).
Although Moncada said he felt fine afterwards, he had no idea how he got the virus and was “shocked” by the test result.
“It was a scary and difficult time,” Moncada said.
Moncada had a breakout season in 2019 and was statistically the Sox’ best player overall.
Moncada was required to pass consecutive tests before getting the OK to return to action with the White Sox.