The Chicago-based non-profit Sisters in Cinema announces the launch of a crowdfunding campaign to raise funding for the rehab and buildout of the Sisters In Cinema Media Arts Center. Founded by award-winning filmmaker Yvonne Welbon, the Center will be based in the South Shore neighborhood where she grew up.
Sisters in Cinema launched in 1997 as an online resource for and about African American women filmmakers. Today it is a non-profit with a mission to entertain, educate, develop and celebrate African American sister filmmakers and their audiences.
The Center will be open to the community and offer workshops, courses, screenings, scholar resources and opportunities to network with industry professionals. Sisters in Cinema wants as much of this as possible to be free.
“Representation matters. Who is telling the story matters. And while we are seeing more representations created by African American women media makers it’s still not enough to begin to represent us in our diversity and complexity.” Welbon explains. “Supporting the creation of more media and scholarship by and about African American girls and women will begin to change the narrative.”
Sisters in Cinema was recently awarded one of the first Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s Neighborhood Opportunity Fund grants. In order receive the funds they have to match the grant and raise $100,000. Sisters In Cinema seeks support from those aligned with their mission to bring this vision into existence. While the project will primarily support African American woman and girls, it will also provide opportunities for the larger public. Sisters in Cinema’s tagline is Black—Inclusive—Media.
In addition to support from the City of Chicago, Sisters in Cinema is supported by the Community Programs Accelerator at the University of Chicago and the Field Foundation.
Sisters in Cinema FAQ
Here’s How You Can Support Our Vision:
1) Make a Donation:
– Visit the Sisters in Cinema crowdfunding page here: https://goo.gl/rhwTVK
– Click the video at the top of the page to learn more about our Media Arts Center
– Make a donation of any kind by clicking the “Donate Now” button on Go-Fund Me
2) Share our Story:
– Help us spread the word about our cause. Just a mere mention of our campaign on any of your social media channels can help us reach a wider audience.
– You can share our Go-fund Me page directly using this link: https://goo.gl/rhwTVK
– Visit our Facebook page to stay updated about the Sisters in Cinema Media Center:
Share this statement:
Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago based non-profit with a mission to entertain, educate, develop and celebrate African American sister filmmakers and their audiences is raising funds to help build a Media Arts Center in the southside South Shore neighborhood. The Center will be open to the community and offer workshops, courses, screenings, scholar resources and opportunities to network with industry professionals. To support Sisters in Cinema please visit https://goo.gl/rhwTVK or go to www.sistersincinema.com for more information!
3.) Join Our Team:
– Sisters in Cinema is looking for supporters who are interested in using our Go-Fund Me platform to help raise the funds needed to rehab and build-out the Media Arts Center by participating in their “Team Fundraising” program. This program encourages people to bring together a small (or large) group of like minded individuals who will spearhead their own fundraising goal on behalf of Sisters In Cinema.
– To learn more about Team Fundraising please visit: http://sistersincinema.com/fundraising-team/
– Not only will these teams receive a lifetime of gratitude from Sisters In Cinema, but the organization is also offering valuable rewards for the teams participation and achievement of their fundraising goal, including:
– Limited Edition Sisters In Cinema totes (Up to 5 per Team)
– Social Media Shout Outs
– A Personalized Thank-You note from Yvonne Welbon
– Your Name on a “Thank You” dedication which will be displayed in the Center
It takes a village to make a difference. We appreciate your involvement and support!
For more information, please contact [email protected]
Campaign Video: https://vimeo.com/283238287
To learn more about Sisters In Cinema visit us at www.sistersincinema.com