South Shore’s Official Summer Connection
The New 411 by Raymond Ward
On Sunday, August 18, 2019, the 71st Street/Stony Island Special Service Area (#42) through the support of 5th Ward Alderman Leslie Hairston and the South Shore Chamber of Commerce will host more than 15,000 residents of the South Shore community at its annual celebration, the South Shore Summer Festival, located at the South Shore Cultural Center.
This will be a day to enjoy the soulful sounds of local and national musical artists, the neighborhood’s favorite foods, and opportunities to shop with small businesses from both South Shore and surrounding communities. The South Shore Summer Festival is the ideal event for residents to connect with all things “South Shore.”
Over the years, families from all over Chicago have participated in this one-day outdoor festival. Mayor Lori Lightfoot and former Governor Pat Quinn are just a few Chicago dignitaries who have been known to attend this monumental event.
“The South Shore Summer Festival gets better every year and there’s no doubt that this year will be the best. We have added new attractions to make this free concert fun for the entire family. This event also showcases the local businesses and creates more brand awareness for them. We’re excited to partner with Alderman Hairston and SSA #42 to bring this highly anticipated event back for its 8th year,” remarked Tonya Trice, Executive Director of the South Shore Chamber of Commerce.
This year, the South Shore Summer Festival is pleased to announce that singer, songwriter and R&B sensation Robin Thicke will headline the Soundstage at this year’s festival. There will be performances by local Chicago area artists Johari Noelle, Dante Hall, Queen JLyn, the iconic South Shore Drill Team and Zeke Locke & NuXperience.
A new addition this year is the iHeartMedia (V103, WGCI) and Tito’s Vodka crowning of a Grill Master during the day’s festivities in the first annual “Tito’s Grill Off Competition” for amateur grillers only. The prize package will include $1,000 cash and the winner will earn the title of Tito’s Grill Master; competition managed by Slab BBQ, which serves some of Chicago’s best barbeque in the South Shore.
The South Shore Summer Festival will also feature some exciting new attractions to include:
- Shopping on the Shore ~ The ideal location for festival attendees to discover local small businesses and buy must-have apparel, accessories, beauty products, health & wellness and much more!
- Wellness by the Shore ~ Visit local and national health organizations offering complimentary screenings, fitness tips, nutritional information, and tons of healthy giveaways.
- Festival Café ~ Eat, Drink and Discover a wide range of South Shore’s mouthwatering cuisine and beverage selections in the Festival Café.
- KIDZ Korner ~ A family, fun-filled space that will include exciting attractions and activities for our younger festivalgoers…bouncy houses, mini obstacle courses, giant games, and much more!
- South Shore Beach Activities ~ Festivalgoers will have the opportunity to indulge in exciting beach activities to include South Shore Beachfront Volleyball, Frisby, Kite Flying and more!
- Harbor Boat Rides and Education ~ Sail the shore and learn more about Chicago’s fabulous lakefront in the Lake Michigan Water Trail at South Shore Beach.
Visit www.southshoresummerfestival.com or our social media pages (Facebook, IG and Twitter) for main stage schedules and festival announcements.