Today, Democratic Party of Illinois Executive Director Christian Mitchell led a protest against Mike Pence, Bruce Rauner, Peter Roskam, and their attacks on Illinois communities.
Before the Republican rally at Westin O’Hare in Rosemont, Mitchell was joined by Illinois Democratic Women, Citizen Action Illinois, Indivisible Chicago, Indivisible Illinois, Women’s March Illinois, Gather Activism, UFCW Local 881, ATU Local 308, Planned Parenthood Illinois Action, Personal PAC, and SEIU Healthcare.
After the protest, Bruce Rauner went on to give Mike Pence a glowing introduction in a desperate attempt to salvage his flailing re-election campaign. While the failed governor will likely continue to embrace Donald Trump’s harmful agenda, here are 10 ways he could have used his time on stage to stand up for Illinois’ working families:
- WORKING FAMILIES: Called on Pence to end Trump’s all-out assault on collective bargaining and workers’ rights.
- SCOTUS: Demanded the US Senate not vote on Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court until after the November election.
- CHOICE: Stood by his claims to be “pro-choice” and oppose restrictions on a woman’s right to choose.
- IMMIGRATION: Called on the administration to immediately reunite the families separated at the border.
- LGBTQ: Held the Trump administration accountable for their attacks on transgender troops.
- MUSLIM BAN: Opposed any Muslim ban or restrictions on immigrants based on religion, skin color, or country of origin.
- WELCOMING STATE: Declared Illinois is a welcoming state, and oppose Trump’s treatment of refugees.
- ENVIRONMENT: Stood against Donald Trump’s attack on clean air and clean water.
- GUN VIOLENCE: Helped end the violence in neighborhoods across Illinois and announce his support for gun safety legislation.
- HEALTHCARE: Demanded the Trump administration end their attacks on the Affordable Care Act and fight to expand healthcare for working families.
“We can’t afford to stand on the sidelines while Donald Trump and Mike Pence attack the values that make our state strong,” said DPI Executive Director Christian Mitchell. “Communities across our state under assault — Bruce Rauner needs to take charge, put people over politics, and stand up for Illinois.”