ITR Concession Co. announces that construction will be substantially complete for the season prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, including work on the Lake Station Exit 21 (I-80/94) and LaPorte Exit 49 (S.R. 39), which are set to open Friday, Nov. 18. Additionally, several other lane restrictions/bridge works will conclude as Thanksgiving signifies the halting of a majority of Indiana Toll Road projects.
The interchange and bridge rehabilitations are part of ITRCC’s 80/90 PUSH project, a $200 million investment that will rehabilitate and upgrade more than 70 miles of roadway from Lake Station to Elkhart (Milemarkers 20-93). With the completion of this work on Friday, the project, being overseen by Indiana-based Rieth-Riley Construction, will have repaved nearly 205 out of 292 total miles – a mainline paving total of 70 percent completion – and including bridges and interchanges puts the project at 45 percent overall completion.
“We are very pleased at the progress being made by Rieth-Riley, and couldn’t have asked for a better partner to help lead us through the largest project ever undertaken by the Indiana Toll Road,” said Zach Hurst, ITRCC infrastructure director. “We also want to thank all the drivers for their patience and cooperation during this disruptive but necessary investment in road safety.”
The Exit 21 I-80/94 eastbound and westbound exit ramps have been closed since July for rehabilitation of Structure 5263 (see attached map for clarification), and Exit 49 has been closed since mid-October.
Following are statuses of all current 80/90 PUSH projects:
- Lake Station Exit 21: Scheduled to open Friday, Nov. 18
- MM 20-21 EB: Scheduled to open today, Nov. 16
- MM 38-39: Toll Road mainline restrictions will be lifted for the Thanksgiving holiday, however work will be ongoing into December. U.S. 421 will remain one-lane traffic.
- LaPorte Exit 49: Scheduled to open Friday, Nov. 18; possible lane closures after Thanksgiving
- MM 52: Fail Road scheduled to open Friday, Nov. 18; possible lane closures after Thanksgiving
- MM 65: Chicago Trail scheduled to open Friday, Nov. 18
- MM 76-77: Lane restrictions will be periodic as weather permits to perform bridge widening and sub-structure work – until Memorial Day 2017