The Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) Board of Commissioners recently approved the addition of 353 apartments to its Property Rental Assistance Program (PRA), expanding the number and locations of apartments to renters seeking affordable housing.
The housing, co-developed with a number of development partners, will bring new affordable housing for veterans, seniors and families across the city, from Rogers Park to Roseland and the Near North Side to Englewood.
“Our commitment is to bring affordable housing to every neighborhood in Chicago,” said CHA CEO Eugene Jones, Jr. “And we’re doing so, with investments now in 75 of Chicago’s 77 community areas. As important, we are working in partnership with a broad range of for- and non- profit developers. There is a need for affordable housing in every neighborhood, and with our partners we are ensuring that there is long-term affordable housing everywhere.”
Under the Property Rental Assistance (PRA) program, CHA provides rental subsidy assistance to create affordably-priced apartments in both new construction and rehabbed properties to ensure that low-income Chicagoans have quality housing options in as many communities as possible. CHA’s support for these units will provide long-term rental subsidy contracts, thereby keeping these units affordable. The properties approved by the Board include:
- 6145 North Broadway Apartments at 6145 N. Broadway in the Edgewater community.
- Mark Twain Apartments at 111 W. Division St. in the Near North Side community.
- Warren Apartments at 1527-33 W. Warren Blvd. in the Near West Side community.
- Clark-Estes Apartments at 7070 N. Clark St. in the Rogers Park community.
- Englewood Phase I Apartments on South Halsted Street between 59th and 63rd streets.
- Montclare Veteran’s Village of Roseland at 11026-28 and 11027-47 S. Eggleston St. in the Roseland community.
- Montclare Senior Residences of Calumet Heights at 9401 S. Stoney Island Ave. in the Calumet Heights community.
- Cicero Senior Lofts at 4801-57 S. Cicero Ave. in the Garfield Ridge community.
Construction on the majority of projects will begin in 2018 and be completed in 2018 and 2019.