The Crusader Newspaper Group

Woman dead, 5-year-old critical after oven used to heat home, Indiana fire officials say


An elderly woman was found dead and a 5-year-old girl is in critical condition in Northwest Indiana Wednesday night after fire officials responded to a home and discovered an oven was being used to heat the home, fire officials said.

The incident occurred at a home in the 700 block of King Street about 4:30 p.m. on Gary’s west side.

High carbon monoxide readings were registered by responders when they arrived.
The woman and girl were taken to Methodist Northlake Campus. The adult was later pronounced dead.

The 5-year-old was to be airlifted to another hospital, a fire official said.
No other information was immediately available.

Recent News

Scroll to Top