By Greg Toppo, USA TODAY
The Trump administration on Tuesday said it planned no changes to an international girls’ education program championed by first lady Michelle Obama, disputing earlier media reports that said the administration had effectively dismantled the effort.
On Monday, USA TODAY reported that Peace Corps employees had been told to stop using the name of “Let Girls Learn,” an international education initiative — and that, based on an internal message by Peace Corps acting director Sheila Crowley, “Let Girls Learn” as a program unto itself was ending.
The contents of the message were first reported by CNN. In the message, Crowley told employees that the program, which pushes for greater access to schooling for adolescent girls in developing countries, would cease being a “stand-alone program.”
“‘Let Girls Learn’ provided a platform to showcase Peace Corps’ strength in community development, shining a bright light on the work of our Volunteers all over the world,” Crowley wrote in the email. “We are so proud of what ‘Let Girls Learn’ accomplished and we have all of you to thank for this success.”
But the administration on Tuesday said that no changes to the 2-year-old program have been made or authorized.