WCIU, The U celebrates Black History Month with special program highlighting local community game changers
WCIU, The U is putting the spotlight on local community influencers using their unique talents, stories and experiences to create meaningful change. Creating History is a 30-minute Black History Month special set to air Sunday, February 3 at 12:30 p.m. Hosted by The Jam’s Jordan Cornette and Felicia Lawrence, the program will feature six individuals showcasing how these everyday people are leaving their mark on the world through compassion for others.
- Love Grady – Good Samaritan who created a movement to help feed Chicago’s homeless community.
- Keven Stonewall, Jr. – Loyola University medical student encouraging kids to follow their dreams after beginning his studies at the school at the early age of 17.
- Illi D. Williams – Up-and-coming rapper from Chicago, who’s also a teacher at Betty Shabazz International Charter School.
- Jayera Griffin – 15-year-old, community influencer from Riverdale, Illinois, helping to raise money to purchase resources for the residents in her town.
- Tonika Johnson- Englewood artist who’s using the power of photography to place a positive spotlight on her neighborhood.
- Midge Welch- Local hairstylist going beyond beauty by organizing events that help give back to children across the city.
An encore broadcast of Creating History will air on The U Too Sunday, February 10 and 17 at 2:30 p.m. and on The U Sunday, February 24 at 12:30 p.m.
Viewers can find The U on WCIU-TV 26.1, XFINITY 183, RCN 6/606, WOW 10/207, Dish 26, DirecTV 26 AT&T U-Verse 10/1010 and The U Too is seen on WCIU-TV 26.2, XFINITY 230/360, RCN 35, Dish 48, AT&T U-verse 24 and WOW 107.
Weigel Broadcasting Co. is a family-owned media company based in Chicago, Illinois. The company owns and operates national television networks, as well as local broadcast stations throughout the country. Weigel is the leader in the multicast television network space with “MeTV,” Memorable Entertainment Television, the number-one rated and distributed multicast network, as well as the “Movies!” Network in cooperation with the Fox Television Stations, the “DECADES” Network, the “H&I” Network and the “Start TV” Network in association with the CBS Television Stations. Weigel’s local stations include CBS, ABC, The CW, MyNet and Telemundo network affiliates. Weigel and its affiliate companies broadcast network and independent television stations in Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, St. Louis, Cedar City-St. George (Utah), Milwaukee, South Bend and Rockford. In Chicago, local stations include:The U/WCIU-TV 26.1, The U Too/WCIU-TV 26.2, MeTV/WCIU-TV 26.3, H&I/WCIU-TV 26.4, Bounce TV/ WCIU-TV 26.5, DECADES/WCIU-TV 26.6, MeTV/WWME-CD 23.1, H&I/WWME-CD 23.2, The U Too/WWME-CD 48.1. For more information, visit Weigelbroadcasting.com.