The 2018 #SpeakTruth Summit provides a platform to engage and empower women of color
With the inaugural #SpeakTruth Summit just two weeks away, The Impact Alliance in collaboration with Chicago Black Women in Tech, recently highlighted just few of the leaders and subject matter experts of color scheduled to speak during the 2-day event. The #SpeakTruth Summit runs Saturday, October 20, 2018, and Sunday, October 21, 2018, at Chicago State University.
At the Summit, more than 30 leaders from the public and private sectors, community movements, academia, business and other industries will share perspectives on topics such as physical violence against women of color, reproductive justice as it relates to childbirth, intersectional feminism, religion and feminism, hostile work environments, internalizing and defining womanhood, entrepreneurship, and running for office. Speakers include:
- Alicia Garza, Co-Founder of the Black Lives Matter movement and network, and Director of the National Director Works Alliance. *Keynote speaker
- Maria Hadden, Candidate for Chicago 49th Ward alderman and Executive Director of the nonprofit Our City Our Voice, an advocate for civic education and engagement
- Itedal Shalabi, Co-founder and Executive Director of Arab American Family Services
- Andrea Palmer, Chief of the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Division of Maternal, Child and Family Health Services, and Director of Illinois’ Maternal and Child Health Services (MCH) Block Grant
- Sujata, President and CEO of the Chicago Foundation For Women
- Elena Robinson, Senior Integrated Producer for Energy BBDO
- Tracie L. Keesee, Ph.D, Deputy Commission of Equity and Inclusion for the New York Police Department
- Jeffery Beckham Jr., Vice President of Career and Leadership Development for Chicago Scholars and Founder of Black Box Creative Inc.
- Naheda Zayyad Hussien, an Assistant State’s Attorney for the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office
“Intersectionality is something of high importance to me,” said Carla M. Kupe-Arion, Esq., founder and president of The Impact Alliance NFP. “My vision for this platform was to ensure that as many different voices as possible be given visibility through this Summit. I am thankful to our speakers and workshop leaders who share in that effort and hope to welcome other voices and perspectives to join us from here on out.”
For a complete list of speakers at the #SpeakTruth Summit, visit www.speaktruthsummit.com to view the schedule.
About the #SpeakTruth Summit
The purpose of the #SpeakTruth Summit is to provide women of color a platform to discuss issues that are often left out of mainstream women’s rights and issues forums. The Summit seeks to bring women of color together to identify how to navigate and overcome issues, hurdles, and traumas they face in the many systems they live and operate in on a daily basis. Day 1 of the Summit will conclude with an afternoon of self-care sessions and a spoken word celebration at The Silver Room in Hyde Park, sponsored by Jolly Pumpkin Pizzeria & Brewery – Hyde Park. On Day 2, the Summit’s focus will shift to action-taking through workshops in entrepreneurism, finding one’s purpose, and running for public office.
The 2018 #SpeakTruth Summit is supported by a network of companies committed to empowering women of color, including: NBC, LYFT, The Silver Room, and Jolly Pumpkin Hyde Park.
About The Impact Alliance NFP
The Impact Alliance is a social justice and inclusion-focused organizational culture management consulting group. TiA’s mission is to assist entities to create and foster organizational cultures that are diverse in all forms (i.e. race, ethnicity, sex, gender identification, religion, generation, ability, etc.) and inclusive in all aspects for the good of the organization as well as those they impact.
For more information on the #SpeakTruth Summit, visit www.speaktruthsummit.com , or on Facebook: @speaktruthsummit; IG: @speaktruthsummit; Twitter: @spktruthsummit; LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/speaktruth-summit/