On Saturday, August 6, from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Illinois State Senator Mattie Hunter (D-Chicago – 3rd District) will host the 13th Annual Health, Fun & Fitness Fair, at the Illinois Institute of Technology on 33rd and State Street (Field North of Crown Hall) in Chicago. This free event, which is hosted in conjunction with the Human Resource Development Institute Inc. (HRDI) and State Representative Sonya Harper (D – 6th District), is open to the public. It will offer free eye and dental examinations, health screenings and provide information on nutrition, exercise and holistic health. The festivities will include raffles, prizes, food and refreshments. Senator Hunter will also join the families of victims of violence and families of those who have lost loved ones to breast cancer for consecutive balloon releases.
Fair highlights include:
- Free physicals for students entering 1st, 5th and 9th grades, along with immunizations and lead testing. Parents or guardians must accompany children under 18 for physicals and provide shot records for children in need of immunizations.
- Health screenings – blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, osteoporosis and diabetes
- Back-to-school giveaways – free haircuts, book bags and school supplies
- Free food and entertainment – live performances by the World Champion South Shore Drill Team, the World Champion Jesse White Tumblers, Jamiah “On Fire” & The Red Machine (The Jamiah Rogers Band), “Just Jossie” Dance Fitness, VanderCook College of Music Drum Circle, and Paula Hand Hula Hoops on the Main Entertainment Stage
- Raffles and prizes – free passes to the Chicago Children’s Museum and Direct Energy’s raffles for a Nest smart-learning thermostat for parents and a Kindle for children
“As Chicagoans, we should remember to take care of our loved ones by doing everything we can to make our communities stronger and healthier. Getting active, having fun and remaining safe are all possible when a neighborhood becomes a family,” says Hunter.
For more information or to register for the event, email [email protected] or call the District Office of Senator Mattie Hunter at (312) 949-1908.
About Senator Mattie Hunter
State Senator Mattie Hunter has served in the Illinois General Assembly since 2003. Hunter serves in leadership as a majority caucus whip and currently as the chair of the Senate Energy and Public Utilities Committee. She continues to make a difference in our communities by striving to improve the nation’s health care, education and child welfare systems. During her tenure as state senator, she has helped pass over 200 bills regarding breast cancer, childhood vaccines, youth employment, environmental issues and education.