Representative Charlie Brown (D-Gary) is promoting job opportunities to young adults living in Northwest Indiana through the Student Conservation Association (SCA) Calumet Tree Conservation Corps.
The opportunity is available to students aged 18-25, and serves to expand career pathways for passionate youth to gain skills and experience essential to future success and a lifetime of environmental stewardship.
The students hired will be planting and watering 1,225 trees in the Grand Calumet watershed communities of East Chicago, Hammond, Gary and Whiting. The crewmembers can expect to collaborate with a team of two other crew-members as well as a Crew Leader to perform tree planting and watering as green stormwater infrastructure and habitat enhancement for their communities.
The job is a seasonal position, lasting from April 3 to December 1, and is open to students in Northwest Indiana. The position is 35 hours per week, Tuesday-Saturday, 7a.m.-2:30p.m., with one half hour unpaid lunch daily. Crewmembers will be paid $10/hr for the 36 weeks of the program.
Qualifications for the job include:
- Must be between the ages of 18-25 years old.
- Must reside in or around Northwest Indiana, with preference given to applicants from the four communities served (East Chicago, Hammond, Gary, and Whiting).
- Strong interest in working outdoors and learning about arboriculture and best tree planting practices.
- Able to perform tasks requiring physical exertion, outdoors, in all weather conditions and on difficult terrain while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Able to lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Must be punctual and responsible with an ability to work with others as a team.
- Ability to meet at the designated pick-up location (5400 Cline Ave. East Chicago, IN) on workdays by 7a.m.
“I am happy to help spread the word about wonderful conservation job opportunities in Northwest Indiana for the youth of the area,” Rep. Brown said. “This program is an incredible learning opportunity and a good chance for the young people of the area to learn a new, valuable skill.”
For more information, email Daiva Gylys, SCA Chicago Program manager, at email@example.com.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to both Daiva Gylys at firstname.lastname@example.org and CM Tena at email@example.com.