By Ben Sisario, nytimes.com
Quincy Jones, the music producer who worked with Michael Jackson on some of his biggest hits, including the albums “Thriller” and “Bad,” has won a suit over royalties that pitted him against Jackson’s estate.
A jury in Los Angeles on Wednesday awarded Mr. Jones $9.4 million damages, finding that he had been underpaid his share of royalties for the use of music in the posthumous Jackson film “This Is It” and two Cirque du Soleil shows.
Mr. Jones, 84, had filed his suit against MJJ Productions, a company controlled by the estate, in 2013 and said that he was owed $30 million in payments. The estate countered that he was due only $392,000, from minor accounting errors.
“This lawsuit was never about Michael,” Mr. Jones said in a statement. “It was about protecting the integrity of the work we all did in the recording studio and the legacy of what we created.”
He added that he viewed the verdict “not only as a victory for myself personally, but for artists’ rights over all.”