Man loses limb after being infected from dog’s lick

1
595

By HealthDay News

A Wisconsin man had his lower legs and hands amputated after developing a rare blood infection caused by bacteria in dog saliva.

He first developed flu-like symptoms such as fever and vomiting. By the next morning, his temperature had soared and he was delirious. After his wife rushed him to the hospital, she noticed his body was covered in bruises, as if he’d been beaten with a baseball bat, the Washington Post reported.

Within a week, Manteufel’s legs were amputated from the knees down. Then doctors had to remove his hands.

Doctors diagnosed Manteufel with a rare blood infection caused by bacteria called Capnocytophaga canimorsus that’s commonly found in the saliva of most healthy dogs and is usually not harmful to humans, the Post reported.

Read more at https://blackdoctor.org/523301/man-loses-limb-after-being-infected-from-dogs-lick/

Looking to Advertise? Contact the Crusader for more information.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here