On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at the Indianapolis Colts season opener, Governor Mike Pence and First Lady Karen Pence honored Indiana Olympians who competed in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
“We are so proud to have watched our Indiana Olympians compete on the world stage at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio,” said Governor Pence. “Each of these athletes’ heroic feats speak to the American spirit; tales of perseverance, strength, sacrifice and triumph. But for all of their achievements, we are especially proud of the Hoosier-rooted hard work and compassion that shaped them along the way. We were grateful today to honor each of them with a Sagamore of the Wabash to mark their historic contributions to our Hoosier heritage.”
The Governor, First Lady and Lieutenant Governor Eric Holcomb, along with the Indiana Olympians Association, Indiana Sports Corp and the Indianapolis Colts celebrated the Team USA members at a private reception before the Colts game at Lucas Oil Stadium. The First Lady, Indiana’s Bicentennial Ambassador, also honored each Olympian with an Indiana Bicentennial Commemorative Medal, a special memento to commemorate the state’s 200 years of history.
This year, Indiana alone sent 20 athletes to the Olympics, bringing home 15 medals. The following athletes took part in the ceremony.
- Amber Campbell – competed in the women’s hammer throw (track & field)
- Steele Johnson – silver, men’s synchronized 10m platform (diving)
- Amy Cozad – competed in the women’s synchronized 10m platform (diving)
- Jessica Parratto – competed in the women’s 10m platform (diving)
- Michael Hixon – silver, synchronized 3m (diving)
- Lee Kiefer competed in the women’s individual foil (fencing)
- Gerek Meinhardt – bronze, men’s team foil (fencing)
- Amanda Elmore – gold, women’s coxed eight (rowing)
- Lilly King – gold, women’s 100m breaststroke; gold, women’s 4x100m medley relay (swimming)
- Cody Miller – gold, men’s 4x100m medley relay; bronze, men’s 100m breaststroke (swimming)
- Blake Pieroni – gold, men’s 4x100m freestyle relay (swimming)