General Business License Amnesty Program In Effect
Business owners operating businesses in the city of Gary with expired business licenses or without a license are encouraged to take advantage of the city’s Business License Amnesty Program.
The city is offering an amnesty period now through Friday, March 29, 2019 to allow individuals and businesses an opportunity to obtain a current General Business License and have any associated penalty fees waived. The Amnesty program is designed to encourage businesses and individuals to be in compliance with business tax rules, while supporting the City to fund essential services.
To qualify for the General Business License Amnesty Program, the following requirements must be met by March 29, 2019:
- Businesses that have been previously licensed and currently operating with an expired license may simply pay the principal business license fees, without penalty.
- Businesses that are unlicensed must complete a departmental approval process to comply with the City’s requirements to license a new business. Please visit the Zoning and Building Department in City Hall (Room 307) to begin this process. After departmental approval, all principal business license fees must be paid before a license is issued.
Please note, any penalties that have been paid prior to the program’s kick off on February 11, 2019 cannot be considered for inclusion in the Amnesty Program, and will not be eligible for a refund.
On Monday April 1, 2019, the City will resume charging any associated penalties on business license transactions. The City will also begin actively canvassing the business community to identify unlicensed businesses. All principal and penalty fees will apply.
Details outlined in this document can be found at: https://garyin.us/redevelopment/zoning/gbl-amnesty/
The following Business License forms are also available at: https://garyin.us/redevelopment/zoning/gbl-amnesty/
- General Business License Form – New Business or Change of Address/Ownership
- General Business License Form – Annual Renewal
- General Business License Ordinance
- General Business License FAQs
For more information about General Business Licenses, please visit the City of Gary Zoning and Building Department, Room 307 located in City Hall (401 Broadway), or contact Millie Glenn at 219-881-1377 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Business hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.