Homeowners can apply for exemptions online
Cook County Assessor Fritz Kaegi announces that Friday, August 26, 2022 is the deadline for homeowners to apply for property tax exemptions.
“My goal is to ensure that homeowners receive all the money-saving exemptions to which they are entitled,” Assessor Kaegi said. “Homeowners can visit our website to apply online for exemptions they may be eligible to receive or check the status of their auto-renewed exemptions for this year.”
Assessor Kaegi sent notices in April to hundreds of thousands of households notifying them that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Illinois legislature has allowed for the automatic renewal of many exemptions. For most property owners there is no need to reapply. State law requires an audit of auto-renewed exemptions. Any households selected for audit were mailed forms that allow them to re-verify their exemptions online or by mail.
The following exemptions will automatically renew for homeowners who received them last year (tax year 2020) and remained eligible this year (tax year 2021).
- Homeowner Exemption (annual auto-renewal)
- Senior Exemption (annual auto-renewal) • Senior Freeze Exemption (2021 auto-renewal)
- Persons with Disabilities Exemption (2021 auto-renewal)
- Veterans with Disabilities Exemption (2021 auto-renewal
Please Note: Longtime and Returning Veterans Exemptions will not auto-renew this year.
To explain the recent changes and improvements to the exemption application process, the Assessor’s Office will host a Virtual Workshop on Tuesday, August 23, 2022. Representatives from the Assessor’s Office will explain how homeowners can check which exemptions are already applied to their property and how to apply online if needed.
Cook County Assessor’s Office
- 118 North Clark Street, Room 320 • Chicago, IL 60602 www.cookcountyassessor.com
- (312) 443-7550 Facebook: @cookcountyassessorsoffice
- Twitter: @assessorcook “We continue to expand our outreach efforts so that we can reach homeowners across the county, making them aware of everything they need to know with regards to their exemptions and assessments,” Assessor Kaegi said.
Resources for Homeowners
- Apply for exemptions: www.cookcountyassessor.com/exemptions
- View guides on exemptions in multiple languages: www.cookcountyassessor.com/guideproperty-tax-savings
- Check to see which exemptions have been applied:
- Upcoming virtual workshops and assistance: www.cookcountyassessor.com/event-list