By Chinta Strausberg, Chicago Crusader
In honor of International Women’s Day, Congressman Danny K. Davis (D-7th) honored several “Women of Excellence” during a ceremony at Josephine’s Cooking Restaurant on 79th Street last Sunday.
The event was planned by Davis’ Multi Ethnic Advisory Task Force, which was formed in 2010. Sunday’s program was the fifth annual celebration of International Women’s Day. Congressman Davis said he loves the diversity of his committee.
“Rep. Davis is the first congressman in the entire country to formally celebrate International Women’s Day and honor distinguished women for their significant contribution to the progress of our communities,” said Youth Event Chair Mercy Jerome.
“These are very outstanding people and most are physicians. I had nothing to do with choosing the recipients. They were chosen by the committee” said Davis.
The ethnic composition represents Davis’ diverse district, which includes 22 higher education institutions, the Chicago Bears, the Chicago Bulls, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Blackhawks, the Chicago Board of Trade, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Options Exchange, and the Chicago Stock Exchange.
Congressman Davis honored the following women of excellence:
- Former Cook County Board President Bobbie Steele
- Hina Ali-Khan, associate administrator, Therapy Providers
- Vallyammad Bharat Kumar, secretary, Mahendra Educational Trust
- Teresa Mirabella, director of Anawin, IL
- Samina Siamuala, administrator, Maimoon Poly Clinic, Chennai, India
- Jorgina Pereira, founder, Sinha Elegant Cuisine
- Ivy Lam, president, Chicago Charter Lodge, Chinese American Citizens Alliance
- Santosh Kumar, founder & executive director, Metropolitan Asian Family Services
- Dr. Hemilata Bakane, past president, Indian American Medical Association of Illinois, Global Health Committee Chair
- Dr. Ahlam Al-kodmany, administrative director, Cancer Center, UIC
- Chand Nasim, program coordinator, Glendale Heights Suburban Pakistani American Org.
- Dr. Saradapurna Sonty, founder and executive director, SAPNA
- Myra Hinojose, director of Senior Services Hispanic Housing Dev. Corp.
- Dr. Fouzia Shareef
- Tammy Raven, founder and CEO, W.A.T.C.H. Women Anointed to Create Hope
- Mudhura Sane, director, Nritya Natya Kala Academy
- Stephanie Coleman, 16th Ward Democratic Committeeman