Denise M. Brown
By Denise M. Brown A few years ago, Cindy dropped into a mid-morning chat I hosted for family caregivers. She worked full-time while caring for her husband and raising their daughter with special needs. During this chat, Cindy shared truly bad luck news; her car’s engine light went off while driving...
The HistoryMakers Today, African Americans make up 13.3% of the overall television news workforce with just 7.4% appearing on television, compared to whites representing 73.4% of the workforce and 70.2% of those appearing on television. When it comes to those in leadership positions, African Americans make up just 3.9% compared...
By Elaine Hegwood Bowen, M.S.J. “It is a terrifying time to be Black in America. This book is my counterattack on that disorienting feeling. I step foot in the streets to protest in pursuit of justice.”—Tamika Mallory adapted from “State of Emergency.”  If the speech that activist and author Tamika Mallory made during a...
Girl Scouts, Girl Scout Cookies
The Indiana Department of Health announced that it is partnering with Girl Scouts of Central Indiana to provide free Girl Scout cookies to participants at select COVID-19 vaccination clinics around the state, including mass vaccination clinics at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and at the former Roosevelt High School in...
The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) announced the availability of grant funding for recycling projects from the Recycling Market Development Program. Eligible candidates may seek a grant ranging from $50,000 to $500,000. Proposals are being accepted now through June 23, 2021. "These grants from the Recycling Market Development Program...
she wore these, she serves she matters, some in the military
By Wanda “Sistah Soldier” Petty, President & CEO What you should understand, first and foremost, is that your qualifications, your degree, your experience, won't guarantee you the job anymore. All of that only guarantees you an opportunity to get your foot in the door. That's it. In other words, you can't coast on...
The Dialysis Hustle By Stephanie Gadlin Part 2 of 4 CHICAGO - This COVID-19 survival story reminds me of the time my cat, Sheba, was caught in my knitting basket unravelling a big red ball of yarn. The more I pulled at the strings, the more tangled of a tangled mess it...
Mega Millions
The Mega Millions jackpot is rolling again with an estimated $430 million up for grabs in the next draw this Friday, May 14. This is the highest Mega Millions jackpot on offer since the historic jackpot run in January this year, which led to a lucky lottery player from Michigan...
Youth Summer Camp
The YWCA of NWI has announced an exciting line-up of programs for members all ages including Youth Summer Camp, Line Dancing Classes, Power Tap Dance Class, Meals on Wheels and space rental for customized events. “Now that COVID-19 vaccinations have begun, we have started to gradually introduce programming while following...
The committee of local business leaders that organizes the NWIBRT Hard Hat Charity Golf Outing is currently seeking suggestions for charities that will receive donations after this year’s event. The outing will be taking place on Friday, September 17, 2021 at the White Hawk Country Club in Crown Point,...